September is just around the corner. The evenings are cool, it’s misty in the morning, it’s time for a steaming bowl of hearty hamburger soup. Also a way to enjoy this season’s fresh tomatoes!
The amount of each ingredient can vary depending on the thickness of the soup you desire.
In a large stock pot brown:
- ½ – ¾ lb. each of spicy Italian sausage and (extra) lean ground beef
Once cooked almost through add:
- ½ – 1 cup each of diced celery, onion, carrot – combine well and keep stirring about 3 minutes
For last minute of sauté add
- 3 or so cloves of crushed, fresh garlic
- One 19 oz. can black beans
- Two to four liters organic, low sodium chicken or beef stock
- 3 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup or more cubed sweet potato
- 4 – 6 good shots of worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 – 4 cups fresh, diced tomatoes
If you don’t have any fresh tomatoes add:
- One 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (Unico) with liquid
You can top up your soup with water if a bit more liquid is required or desired
Bring to a boil then simmer until sweet potato is cooked through – taste and add salt &/or pepper as needed.
- ½ cup chopped, fresh cilantro
Serve with chunks of bread torn off a country style, hearty loaf
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 1 serrano pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh corn
For a vegetarian version substitute Yves veggie ground round or a head of roughly chopped cauliflower for the sausage and beef, and use organic vegetable stock instead of chicken or beef stock.